Instead of a trip to the gym this morning, we made a trip to the allotment for a cardiac workout. We had started on the serious digging on Thursday-a trench across the middle of the plot, and Rob added to this today, working downslope.
We cleared around the rhubarb crowns too and today started to extend that towards the middle. The aim is to have the section dug this autumn, leaving the upper part until Spring.
The ground is now very dry-too dry really for digging, but the soil is a stiffish clay in parts and looks like it will be even harder when it is wet. Ho hum. To make matters worse, there is a layer of couch grass, so it is going to be an interesting challenge.
Below the rhubarb crowns the soil was clear and there were a few neglected leeks in. I have watered them but they aren’t very promising . Under the netting I have planted some tiny Japanese onions bought on Thursday. Just needed to do some planting to justify the effort of all the digging.